Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Above the Storm

Watching the lightning storm from the plane

It was 4:30 in the morning. I looked over at the friend sitting next to me, sleeping like most people on the plane. Unlike them, I hadn't been able to get comfortable enough for that. I'd been awake for nearing 20 hours and was getting frustrated with my inability to sleep before I had to drive the rest of the home (five-six hours after I was originally supposed to).

Then I looked out the window. We were flying above a lighting storm. Suddenly, I was glad to be awake. The dancing lights in the clouds caused me to praise God.

I'm normally a big fan of storms. But looking back on that morning, I can't imagine I would have enjoyed the storm had I been on the ground. On the ground, the storm would have been very inconvenient. And all I would have been thinking about was that it was prolonging the journey to my bed.

This year, I feel like I've been going through a huge storm. Medical problems in my family. Big expenses I didn't expect. Plans not working out the way I want them to. Friends (that I am truly happy for) moving further away or announcing that they will be. My dog's old age showing more than ever. And for most of the time, I have focused on the inconvenience of all those things.

I've often heard that you should be honest with God and tell Him what you're feeling. Although that is important, I'm learning it's not the best way to deal with a problem. When you're stuck in the middle of a torrential onslaught, you don't get out by telling God it's making you wet.

You get out by getting above it. And you get above it by praising God.

When you praise God, it puts all your focus on Him. You remember how good He is. You remember how powerful He is. You remember how much He loves you and how He has come through for you in the past. You remember how big God is. Your feelings about the storm might even change while you're praising Him.

I've found that the song "Fields of Grace" by Big Daddy Weave is a great help for me. I can't help but find joy in God's love when I hear it. Like Paul and Silas who were loosed from their shackles and prison cell when they sang praises to God, I'm freed from my fears and doubts when I lift my voice to Him.

Praise changes your perspective. It allows you to enter God's presence so you can see the storm from His perspective. Still a very real storm with very real effects on your life, but beneath Him. Smaller than He is, and something He can help you rise above.

Join the conversation: What storms are you facing them, and how are you facing them? What helps you focus on God instead of your problems?

No comments:

Post a Comment