Saturday, April 22, 2017

In Christ Alone

Picture a perfect world. No children dying of starvation. No war. No sickness. No death (not even of your beloved pets). No crime. Everyone sharing. The most beautiful, clear skies, beaches, rivers and streams you've even seen because there is no pollution.

Now let's make it a little more personal. Picture your life exactly as you want it. Your heart has never been broken. You have your dream home and your dream job. You're married, if you want to be. Any children you might have never get into trouble or talk back to you.

Sounds pretty great, right? Here's the catch.

Jesus isn't in it. 


Still sound great? Do you still want that life?

Hopefully, your answer is no. I think for most Christians, it's easy to say that it wouldn't really be a perfect world without our Savior. It's easy to say that we can't live without Him. But what if we took that further?

If all you had was Jesus, would that be enough? Personally, I have a harder time saying yes to that than I do saying no to the first question. And that challenges me.

If everything I ever wanted doesn't satisfy without Christ, then it should be clear that He is all I need. But for some reason, I still find myself looking for more. I find myself looking for fulfillment in my job or my relationships or my accomplishments. I even find myself telling God I need those things or that I need something different in them.

Until my focus is on Him. When my eyes are on Him - not on what I don't have - I find that my life is much more fulfilling. I see how He's using me in my job and not just where I'm lacking. I feel the love of the friends and family He has given me and don't just think of how many of them live far away. I remember that in God's eyes, obedience to Him is the greatest accomplishment I could ever achieve.

The same can be true for you. When our focus is on God, He suddenly becomes bigger than anything we think we're lacking, and He fills the space we think is empty. We learn that if we have Him, we have everything we need.

Join the conversation: What things do you find yourself looking to for fulfillment? What can you do to bring your focus back to God when you start to try to fill your life or your heart with other things?

No comments:

Post a Comment