Tuesday, November 29, 2016

His Court

The whistle blows, and the game begins. The tallest members from each team jump as high as they can, hoping to beat the opponent to the ball so they can pass it to their team. Once the ball is in play, the offense runs down the court, getting ahead of the defense. The point guard dribbles the ball down the court while the other players take their positions, waiting on her to call the play.

When I was younger, I was on the school basketball team. Back in those days, I was NEVER the point guard. I wasn't a good enough ball handler, and even if I had been, I wouldn't have wanted the responsibility. You see, the point guard is in control of the play. They tell the rest of the team where to move. They choose who gets the pass. There was no way I was going to be able to do all that. For goodness' sake, I didn't even want to shoot half the time; I just wanted to get the ball out of my hands once it was there.

But I've recently discovered that I'm trying to be the point guard. And a ball hog to top it off.

Here's the thing. In life (sports not included), I like to be in control. Sometimes, I even feel like I'm doing a great job. I'm really getting somewhere. And then I realize I'm just running in circles. There are no points on the score board. I might not be losing yet, but I'm certainly not winning either.

I'm learning that God is a much better point guard than I am in my life.

Whether it's my job, my hobbies, my finances, my time, the fulfillment of my dreams, or relationships with those around me, God has a much better plan in mind than I do. He knows the other players better than I do, on both teams. He knows what I need to do to work best with my teammates. He knows what weaknesses the opposition will try to bring out and can help me prepare for them or avoid them all together.

When I run the show, I run wherever there's an opening. When He runs the show, He tells me where to be. When I run the show, I hope I get the chance to shoot. When He runs the show, He creates opportunities for me to put the ball in the basket.

God isn't a ball hog either. He might be the star that demands -- and deserves -- all the glory for the win. But He lets others join in the fun of the game.

So I'm learning, once again, to let God run things. After all, it is His court I'm playing on.

What areas of your life do you need to let God call the shots in?

"Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere." - Psalms 84:10a

No comments:

Post a Comment