Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Who Am I?

Somewhere in all of us, there is something telling us that we cannot complete everything we are called to do. It may not surface often, but it is there.


Recently, I have asked God, "Why me?" What He has called me to do, seems like it would be so much better suited to someone else. I am thrilled with the call and cannot wait to live it out, but I still do not understand why He chose me. An intimate relationship with Him is new to me. Never once have I led someone in the prayer of salvation. Going up to random people and talking about God is brand new to me.

This question is something I have never asked before the last few weeks. These are statements I have made but never in reference to my calling.


However, Sunday night, my pastor said something that answered my question and refuted my arguments. He told the church, "We are looking at what we're not, but God is looking at what we are."

God sees me for who I am and who I am becoming. He does not see who have been (apparently including the fact that I missed a flight in the past, since He is asking me to go to a whole new continent). Sure, my intimate relationship with Him is fairly new, but at least I have one. Just because I have never led the prayer of salvation, does not mean I have not been there for it. It does not mean I do not know how to lead it. It just means I have not led it. It may be new for me to speak to random people, but at least I am willing to answer when God tells me to speak to them.

In short, God sees willingness. He sees compassion. He sees my final destination. He sees the road I am taking to get there. It is almost as if when I move forward on that road, the road behind me disappears. He takes the place I am and makes that my new starting point.

So, if you ever find yourself asking why God would choose you, remember that He sees what you are and not everything you are not. The simple answer to "Why me?" is that He chose you. If He chose you, you have what it takes or you will by the time you get to what He has called you to. Just remember that God does not make mistakes and He always provides a way for you to do what He has called you to do. Just trust Him, accept your call, and step out. You might find out something you are that you never would have believed you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment